COWON America Forums  

Go Back   COWON America Forums > COWON / iAUDIO Player > Flash Players - iAUDIO 4, 5, U2, G3, F1, and etc (formerly iAUDIO forum) > Technical Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2006

Robertshaw is still to judged
Is Cowon support really this bad?

I have emailed Cowon twice; once before I ever got my F1, with a simple request as to where I could get the AC charger that they show in the manual and ads. Two weeks, no reply.

Now I got the F1, and find it is apparently useless for audiobooks with protected WMA files because the resume and bookmark functions don't work; I simply asked (via email and in this forum) if this is how it's supposed to be, if it's being fixed, or if I should return it. No reply, here or via email.

I stick with companies that show they care about customers...Epson, Amazon, Olympus, etc. Things are not looking good for Cowon, thank goodness I bought the player from a reputable company, Amazon, so even if I never get an answer from Cowon, I can at least get a refund and buy a player from someone who responds to their customers.

Incidentally, if any Cowon folks actually read these forums, if this player goes back for no response, I will post a review at both Amazon and Newegg and mention that there is no customer support, as well as the WMA issue.

Gary
Old 01-12-2006
Master Member

dadship12 has passed the judgement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudio_god
Dear Dave and All,

I am sorry for your frustration and everyone else who has to suffer, I know there hasn't been much posts here on our own Cowon Forums. I have actually been mainly posting everything on iaudiophile.net. Truthfully you are rarely going to find any real representatives for manufacturers here on any of the forums. This is something I chosed to do on my own to give our customers more exclusive access to any information to our Cowon America branch.

As you know forums are more of a customer based community, I understand that this is our main forum, so we are actually scouting some loyal customers who are willing to moderate and work with us directly to help maintain the forum here and update it on a regular basis.

I wouldn't know too much about last years holiday season since I started first quarter last year. I guess you can say that it is our fault for not preparing for this season. But there is really a huge transition going on, staffing will take some time. We are really preparing for this season making future plans. As you guys know the company is rapidly growing all over. I can tell you this that just from being in the inside I can say that there are some major moves taking place. But you can't exactly move a mountain in a day, so please be patient.

2006 will definitely be a good year, we actually have all of the chairmans here in the US today after the long CES event. They are discussing there plans for the year so alot of changes will be made definitely.

Well I hope this information was helpful and you all are not discouraged from owning any of our products. But we are really trying our best, we are a farely small company especially here in the US so please allow us some time as I believe this year to improve alot.

Regards,
iaudio_god
From the Customer Support thread
Old 01-12-2006

Robertshaw is still to judged
Looks like...

Thanks for the reply, Dadship. I guess I'll try the phone contact tomorrow, If I can't get through or get a reasonable answer, I guess the F1 will have to go back. If I knew they were fixing the issue soon with a firmware upgrade, (and maybe could explain to me what the heck a bookmark does, when it doesn't appear to do anything and there's nothing in the manual) I might keep it, if it's going to be usable with large wma files.

Glad I didn't buy it directly from Cowon, I can imagine trying to contact them for an RMA, let alone a refund. I agree with Dave in that other thread, if they keep this up, customer service (lack thereof) will be the downfall of the company...if this one goes back because they won't answer, I won't be looking at any Cowon products in the future, and word will get around.
Old 11-24-2009

Textgenie is still to judged
Smile Re: Is Cowon support really this bad?

However unresponsive Cowon support is (and in 2009 they seemed to be pretty bad in July, but let's hope they are better now, November) the fact is that the D2+ is worth it - what an excellent output stage, there is nothing to match it!

No one who owns one and has used it for any length of time can possibly give it up, even if the support is horrendous.
Old 11-24-2009

Smile It was a few months ago! Re: Is Cowon support really this bad?

Here is an example of CVOWON support from when I first bought the item D2+ - best player in the world, but support not so good then!

nt Li

Posted On: 29 Jun 2009 02:14 PM
I HAVE A D2+ REPEAT A D2+ WHY IS THERE NO SEPARATE LISTING FOR A D2+

THIS IS HIGH PRIORITY NOW LOW PRIORITY

I HAVE UPDATED THE SOFTWARE IN MY D2+ AND IT MALFUNCTIONS IN TWO WAYS.

IT WILL OFTEN NOT PLAY MORE THAN ONE SONG WITHOUT SHUTTING DOWN.

OR IT WILL FREQUENTLY SHUT DOWN WHILE PLAYING SONGS.

AFTER RESWITCHING ON IT WILL EMIT A LOUD SPARK SOUND IN THE EARPHONES BEFORE PROCEEDING NORMALLY.

PLEASE ADVISE WHAT ACTION TO TAKE AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO RETURNING IT TO THE STORE. I HAVE ONLY ONE DAY MORE TO ALLOW A RETURN.

NEED ADVICE NOW WITHIN THE HOUR (5PM NEW YORK TIME>

MANY THANKS

ANT LI

NYC

Elias

Posted On: 30 Jun 2009 09:40 AM
Hi Ant
Are you referring to the options when you submit a ticket? If yes, there is no other option at this time. Our Administrator for our ticket system has not made an option.
We consider all our tickets a high priority. Our ticket system does not allow for proper control of tickets if we allowed customers to change the priority.
If your player is not playing more than one file there is a need for more information. Have these files worked fine before? Have other files worked fine before?
Does the player give this "loud spark sound" when you use other earphones? Has it always given this "loud spark sound" or recently developed? If recently developed, did you make changes to the player before these issues started?
Unfotunately our ticket system was not designed for immediate replies. We apologize for the delay however for immediate response please contact our Live Chat service instead.
Thank You,
Technical Suppport Staff
Cowon America Inc
"Digital Pride"

Ant Li

Posted On: 30 Jun 2009 03:42 PM
Thanks ELias.

This switch off in the middle of playing after a song ends started after I upgraded to 2.11. I am seeing whether it continues today or not.

If it does, should I press the reset button? Will that help?

I cannot see what else you asked me because the message is not visible any more.

Is Cowon America able to hire a good Web designer? The one you have seems to make all kinds of errors. Perhaps you should ask him to correct two things. 1)Option to choose High of Medium Priority as well as Low. 2. Able to write a Reply without losing sight of the message you are replying to.

Perhaps he should get another job.

Anyhow I have to return the Cowon tomorrow if it is bust. Is it bust? Or can I fix the problem?

The spark sound when it decided to start again is not a sound I ever heard it make before. no.

At the moment it is playing through without stopping but I am testing it at length now for two hours.
Thanks for you attention.

Yours

Ant Li

Ant Li

Posted On: 30 Jun 2009 11:20 PM
OK it stopped again in the middle of playing songs.

Will reset cure it?

Elias

Posted On: 01 Jul 2009 12:32 PM
Hi Ant
The issues you are describing seem to indicate a possible corruption in data. The simplest route to resolve this is to format the player's drive and then reload firmware.
Thank You,
Technical Suppport Staff
Cowon America Inc
"Digital Pride"

Ant Li

Posted On: 01 Jul 2009 01:17 PM
I dont expect to have to reformat a drive when I buy an MP3 pl;ayer. How often will this happen?

Can I reformat it in Vista 64? Otherwise how? How long does it take.

Are youaware that loading 36GB of music takes a long time?

I am about to return this item in one hour. Have you anything to say to make it preferable to keep it?

Where are the instructioins for this reformatting?

Ant Li

Posted On: 01 Jul 2009 09:54 PM
OK I got an extension of one week to return this problem unit. Can I cure it myself?

When are you going to reply to my questions?

I just ran the D2+ for three hours and it stopped twice. Twice it restarted when switched back on, once it would not restart till the button was pressed repeatedly, when it eventually made aloud spark sound in the earphones and reindexed the inserted 15GB card inserted, which had not been touched.

What is your advice?

Should reset cure it, or do I have to reformat? If so how? There are no instructions in your manual, which I have printed out.

AL
Wed pm/Thurs am

jeff

Posted On: 02 Jul 2009 04:02 PM
I will be taking over this ticket. When was your unit purchased and from what retailer?
Thank You,
Technical Suppport Staff
Cowon America Inc
"Digital Pride"

Ant Li

Posted On: 02 Jul 2009 04:31 PM
What has which store I bought if rom and when got to do with restoring proper operation to this unit? Did you deliver troublesome units to some particular store?

This one was from B and H 34/9th Manhattan. I purchased it two weeks ago.

Why is it so difficult for you all to ANSWER QUESTIONS?

Given the symptoms, will a simple reset work or not? I am loathe to reformat the D2+ drive unless strictly necessary since it takes a lot of time to load it up with 15GB on my Vista 64 PC.

If I do really have to reformat it how do I do that with a Vista 64 machine? Where are the instructions? Not in the Manual.

This is an excellent machine with very fine sound and really don't see why you cannot answer support questions straight away.

All the issues should be in the Manual, unless my machine is somehow unique.

Best
AL

Frankly all this would not have to be done if you answered the phone. It seems quite wrong for Cowon not to have phone support, which would clearly save time for customers and company as well.

Ant Li

Posted On: 02 Jul 2009 10:08 PM
PS And why not change Low Priority to High Priority if your Webmaster has left you with only one choice? It would give a better impression.

And why can't the Webmaster provide more choices? Is he dead? Is he fired? It is very simple to change it in five minutes.

Ant Li

Posted On: 02 Jul 2009 10:36 PM
AND WHY CANT THE CUSTOMER EDIT HIS ENTRY HERE INSTEAD OF WRITING ANOTHER "REPLY" WHICH TAKES IT TO BACK OF LINE?

jeff

Posted On: 06 Jul 2009 04:18 PM
I suggest you have it returned to the store for either a refund or a replacement unit.
Thank You,
Technical Suppport Staff
Cowon America Inc
"Digital Pride"

Ant Li

Posted On: 13 Jul 2009 10:46 AM
You suggest I return it to the store WITHOUT EVEN ANSWERING MY QUESTION whether a reset would work?

I decided to try the reset and it seemed to stop the interruptions of play/refusal to restart/ spark sound /restart OK/playing again OK for a time but the same thing did happen after three or four hours playing.

So since it also did not REPEAT - the repeat command switched on did not make a track of music repeat - I did return it to B and H and get another D2+.

Today I filled up the battery, updated the firmware to 2.11 and filled the D2+ with 14GB of music. A card with 14GB of music was inserted also.

The unit now will not play any of the music, but instead shows the sign NO MUSIC.

What do you advise NOW?

Did I get another flawed D2+?

Please reply soon. OR GIVE TELEPHONE NUMBER TO DISCUSS THIS AND SAVE TIME.

Ant Li

NYC

jeff

Posted On: 13 Jul 2009 03:12 PM
Here are your options at this point. You can either have your unit sent in so our service dept. can test it or send it back to you retailer for a replacement.
Thank You,
Technical Suppport Staff
Cowon America Inc
"Digital Pride"

Ant Li

Posted On: 13 Jul 2009 08:41 PM
You did'nt read that I already did return it for another one?

You don't read the customer posts properly?

You know nothing more than the customers do about any issue?

You cannot think of any way of solving a glitch as described where it does not recognize the files of music after an upgrade?

You did not think to suggest that I might reload the upgrade, which I did?

Is there any reason why I should not conclude that the support at Cowon North America is completely unresponsive, and uninformed?

If so what is that reason?

At the moment I conclude that the best MP3 and video player is D2+, but that the support is useless, and the manual is totally inadequate.

Ant Li

NYC
Old 11-24-2009

Smile Pretty bad a while back Re: Is Cowon support really this bad?

jeff

Posted On: 14 Jul 2009 10:20 AM
To be honest, I really dont know whats going on with your player. All our test players are fine when we load it up with music and an external sd card. The dev. team has not created a firmware to resolve any of the issues you described. If you werent told already, try formatting the player and then reloading the firmware. What types of file format are you loading anyways?
Thank You,
Technical Suppport Staff
Cowon America Inc
"Digital Pride"

Ant Li

Posted On: 23 Jul 2009 08:15 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I exchanged the D2+ player, loaded again with with 15GB of wma and wav files, and a 16GB card, both with room to spare, and have run it for another week. The sound as always is on a higher level than iPods or anything else I have tried.

But still, every now and then - quite often, in fact - the unit shows the same problem as the earlier one. It will stop in the middle of playing shuffle and won't restart without a reset, and may even then go all over the place in its command structure for a short while, go into into video mode unasked, or switching off and restarting with remapping or at least reconnecting the card, before settling down and playing shuffle without any problem for an hour or even two plus.

Sometimes moving the headphones in and out rapidly may spark a reset too, I have noticed.

What sound file types is it built for, and what types will cause problems?

Why would reset tend to fix the problem?

Why would the commands become erratic for a short time after reset?

Is there some way it can suffer from electrostatic charges? How would these build up?

This player is a keeper regardless of its problems, which is why I am pursuing the matter instead of just giving up. The sound is just too good.

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Ant Li
NYC

jeff

Posted On: 24 Aug 2009 10:13 AM
Im afraid I do not have any comments at the moment, feel free to post anything in the future if necessary.
Thank You,
Technical Suppport Staff
Cowon America Inc
"Digital Pride"

Back