COWON America Forums  

Go Back   COWON America Forums > Digital Audio Players [iAudio series] > iAudio 7
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2007

CowonWeHaveAProblem has passed the judgement!
Question Output level too low?

Hi there,

I'm using Cowon iAudio7 with 8GB and tried to plug it into my JBL Control 2.4G On Air (Wireless Speaker System). It works for a while but suddenly the music turns off. JBL support says that the "level" (I hope this is the correct technical translation for German "Pegel") of my mp3-player is too low. So I try to find help here.

Any idea how to raise the line level of iAudio7 ?

CU
CowonWeHaveAProblem
Old 12-12-2007
Administrator

CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Output level too low?

use an amplifier? i dont think it is possible with some firmwire update.
Old 12-12-2007

goathead1970 has passed the judgement!

the volume control on your player should act as a line level control when you are sending a signal to another amplified unit (your speakers). i'm assuming you tried listening with the volume maxed on your player?
Old 12-13-2007
Administrator

CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute

ahem! i dont own any iAudio

oi GSV, little help here...
Old 12-13-2007
Tecky-type user of iAudio

GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all

Go away, I'm on vacation. 8>.

OK then .. my I7 will drive my car CD player's Aux (line in), although I do have to wind the I7 volume up to get a reasonable level. If you are trying to drive speaker which expects to get x-watts from an amp, then you are obviously out of luck (you get a few 10s of mW at best from the I7). However I'd expect more cordless speakers to have a transmitter that'd run from line in/out levels.

Need more info on what these cordless speakers expect. Do they work with other MP3 players? (if so what?), or indeed any other device at all? I mean it has to be real easy for the speaker folks to go 'Oh yeah, SEP' (Someone Else's Problem).
Old 12-16-2007

CowonWeHaveAProblem has passed the judgement!

Hi folks,

Thanks for your replies! First of all, here are some details about the active speaker system "JBL Control 2.4G On Air":
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...CheckProduct=Y

Frequency Range (3dB): 50Hz 20kHz
High-Frequency Driver: 1/2" (12mm) Titanium-laminate, magnetically shielded
Low-Frequency Driver: 4" (100mm) Magnetically shielded
I guess this says nothing about the required line-in level...

When I plugged in iAudio7 to the speakers, I turned up the volume of iAudio to a level where I had to turn the volume of the speakers a bit down (about 25-30). That means I didn't try maximum output - blame on me .

Based on your feedback, I tried now with maximum volume (i.e. 40) hoping that "level" is depending on volume. And as a result - it works!

The only strange thing I cannot explain is that even with a lower volume it worked for about 5-10min but suddenly the speakers turned off as if they had to input device found. Using the Mute button twice I could re-activate the speakers for about 1 secound until they switched off again.

But anyhow, thanks to you it works now and I keep my mouth shut

Happy Christmas to you!
Old 12-16-2007
Tecky-type user of iAudio

GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all

If you actually read the user manual (linked from the bottom of the product web page) you'll see on page 8, application 2, it says for portable audio devices to put the volume up full. (Nowhere does it actually say what the input sensitivity of the transmitter is).

If the volume arriving at the transmitter is too low it will decide there is no input and shut down. The remote control controls the speakers, so you can deafen yourself even if the transmitter is struggling to believe there is any input at all.

btw, I'd recommend 39, rather than 40 .. many portable devices go all weird at absolute max..