COWON America Forums  

Go Back   COWON America Forums > Digital Audio Players [iAudio series] > iAudio 7
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2007

UnkyPhil will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Noise when display is off

Hi all,

My I7 (new) has a faint high frequency noise whenever the display is off. It is easiest to hear it with a paused song and then slide the switch to turn the display off. This makes it obvious as it changes from silent to having the noise. It isn't very loud and doesn't change in volume when changing the volume level of the device. This means it is most noticeable when the vloume of the device is set to 01, song paused and manually turn the display off.

I would like to know if anyone else has this problem, albeit a small problem?
Is this a known problem with I7's?
Should I be getting it fixed under warranty? This will be a pain as the eBay Shop is a Parallel Importer and I may have trouble getting him to do anything.

Anyway, input on this issue would be appreciated as even though it is quite faint it is very annoying during quiet passages of songs and if I leave the display on to get rid of the noise the battery won't last as long (big reason I bought the I7 originally).

Thanks

Rgds UnkyPhil
Old 12-31-2007
Tecky-type user of iAudio

GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all
Re: Noise when display is off

No it shouldn't do that, No mine doesn't do that (not that I can listen to anything at Volume =01 .. I'm usually up at 18). I've heard of some dud units which make s noise when the backlight is on, but not when it is off.

Suggest you better see if you can return it. This is probably where buying it from a reputable source pays off (or buying it in a country with good consumer protection laws).
Old 12-31-2007

Thanks for your feedback GSV3MiaC. I would have bought it from a shop in Melbourne if there was one that sold it (Zero here currently), as I prefer to buy this sort of item locally for just the warranty. I'll pay a little more just to do it.

I listen on volume 01 at night in bed with head on pillow, but I can still hear the noise at higher volumes whenever there is a quiet section of a track.

Anyone else able to comment please?
Old 01-01-2008
Tecky-type user of iAudio

GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all GSV3MiaC is a name known to all

Just a suggestion / query about what headphones you are using. Obviously higher impedance phones will lower the noise base - maybe yours are just TOO sensitive? Try another set??
Old 01-01-2008
Administrator

CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute CvP has a reputation beyond repute

if this doesnt work, i suggest you to contact COWON Live Chat (support):
http://www.cowonamerica.com/support/
Old 01-01-2008

I'm using audio-technica ATH-CK32
http://www.audio-technica.com.hk/eng...&m_id=275&pa=1
I hear the noise with these and the ones supplied. I'm going to try a pair of Sennheiser CX 300's shortly, but I expect the same. The CK32's are very well matched impedence and input level to the I7.

I will give the Cowon Support chat a try. Once I have enough info to be sure that Cowon will consider my I7 faulty, I'll hassle the eBay shop to honour the warranty. It is just annoying as I have already had to send it back to them once as it was DOA and each time I have to send it back it makes the I7 cost more.
Old 01-05-2008

Would some of the folks that read this post please test their player to see if they can hear the noise also.

The test is:
Use a quiet location
Set the volume to 01
Start a song playing and then pause it
Move the slide switch to turn off the display (short slide to the power on/off position)

See if you can hear a faint high frequency noise that sounds a bit like data transfer interference.

Switching the slider to turn the display on an off makes it most obvious to hear.

Please post a reply either way let me know how you go.

I might be just too fussy and everyone has the noise, but I hear it and find it annoying and nobody else does. I just want to know.

By the way I contacted Cowon America for support and all they could offer was for me to pay shipping both ways and send it from Melbourne Australia to the US.

I have tried registering with Cowon Global, but I never receive the confirmation email and there doesn't appear to be another way to contact them.

Anyone in Australia know any better way to get support?
Old 01-06-2008

By the way I have been able to record the sound. The attached wma file has the sound. The player display is turned off and on a few times. It starts without the sound and ends with the sound.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Line-In_Mic-In_06-01-2008_18-48-19.zip (681.1 KB, 311 views)
Old 01-07-2008

goathead1970 has passed the judgement!

i get a slight amplifier hiss with mine (it decreases with volume control) it really doesn't bother me much. i've owned my player (16gb) for two months now and the only issue that i have with mine is that the scrolling gets stuck and keeps going like a rolodex sometimes. it usually happens when i'm in a vehicle and the bumps make my fat fingers jump around when i'm trying to use the interface. it becomes the equivalent of clicking the mouse eighty times in order to get a page to load on your home computer. it doesn't like being told eighty things to do at once. neither do i for that matter. going from 1.14 to 1.15 didn't seem to fix it but it doesn't do it as often now after the upgrade.