COWON America Forums  

Go Back   COWON America Forums > Portable Media Players > COWON A3
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009

padillah is still to judged
How does the A3 store files?

I am looking to replace my broken Archos 605 Wifi (30Gb). But one of the real important issues for me is the player cannot store music as a single index file. It is really important to me that the player simply store the mp3's as separate files and play them as separate files.

Does the A3 or any of the COWON products do this?

Tom P.
Old 02-03-2009

Bryan.Brake will become famous soon enough
Re: How does the A3 store files?

The A3's files system is FAT32. It stores files as individual mp3s, or in my case, .ogg and .avi (divx). This file system is supported by Windows and OpenBSD, as well as other OSes.

I hope this answers your question.
Old 02-03-2009

Yes, it does. So can I just drag and drop files and listen to them?

Then it pretty much cliches my decision - I'm getting an A3.

It's got twice the capacity, radio, built in voice record... for $10 more. Not much left but to find the darn thing.

Thanks for the help.

Tom P.
Old 02-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by padillah View Post
Yes, it does. So can I just drag and drop files and listen to them?

Then it pretty much cliches my decision - I'm getting an A3.

It's got twice the capacity, radio, built in voice record... for $10 more. Not much left but to find the darn thing.

Thanks for the help.

Tom P.
I just want to preface a few things.

1. the thumb button takes a little getting used to
2. get a remote, the A2 remote works on the A3
3. there is no current safe way to expand space, so if that is important, get something with a card slot.
4. transfer rates are slow to the A3. 30GB of ogg files took over an hour for me. (I've the 80GB model).
5. get an AC charger, and a car charger (if you want to use it in the car).
6. prepare for a lot of headaches WRT encoding movies. DIVX only works for me right now. I use MENCODER to encoder, as i do not have/use windows. H264, MKV and OGM have issues with audio/video sync. Again, I'm using MENCODER, so YMMV.
7. if you only plan on listening to music, get something less hefty... the A3 is a little chunky.
8. customer support is good, I've used it.
9. battery life isn't the best. I've watch several hours of documentaries, or did about 8 hours of audio. Set the screen to shut off quickly, and set screen contrast to as low as you can.

those things being said, I like it, but I'd rather switch out the hard drive in it for about 64GB of CF or SD card, and be done with it. It truly is a powerhouse and a great little toy. But once Rockbox gets firmware for the A3, I'll be using that...

Good luck, and I hope this was constructive.

Last edited by Bryan.Brake : 02-03-2009 at 13:04.
Old 02-04-2009

That's all great stuff Bryan, thanks.

I don't plan on watching too many videos on it. I currently have an Archos 605 30Gb and I've never watched movies on it, so I don't see that changing.

With that in mind you mentioned getting something less hefty, that's a problem I'm running into: anything with the space I need (I've got 34Gb of music right now) is going to be harddrive based and is going to be looked at as a media player. I would love an A3 without the screen. That'd be wonderful! But once you get above 30Gb everyone thinks you want to watch movies on the biggest screen you can find.

I don't need video out, I don't need movie playback, I don't need a big screen... I just want to play my music and listen to the radio.

If there's anything in the >30Gb range that will do that, I'm all ears.

Tom P.
Old 02-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by padillah View Post
That's all great stuff Bryan, thanks.

I don't plan on watching too many videos on it. I currently have an Archos 605 30Gb and I've never watched movies on it, so I don't see that changing.

With that in mind you mentioned getting something less hefty, that's a problem I'm running into: anything with the space I need (I've got 34Gb of music right now) is going to be harddrive based and is going to be looked at as a media player. I would love an A3 without the screen. That'd be wonderful! But once you get above 30Gb everyone thinks you want to watch movies on the biggest screen you can find.

I don't need video out, I don't need movie playback, I don't need a big screen... I just want to play my music and listen to the radio.

If there's anything in the >30Gb range that will do that, I'm all ears.

Tom P.

Cowon D2: 104.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OE2OPG

32GB SDHC: 105.00

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Class...4218630&sr=1-1

Cowon A3 price: (300.00 for the 80GB) (280.00 for the 30GB)

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-A3-80SL-...4218710&sr=1-1

Plus, Rockbox for the D2 is being worked on. The A3 is not even in the mix right now... less size... I think I'm selling my A3...
Old 06-19-2009

longcall911 is still to judged

I assume that you've purchased one by now. But if you haven't, know that yes mp3s are stored as separate files. That's the second biggest reason I bought mine. The first reason was its gorgeous display.

/*tom*/
Old 04-24-2010

henderson791 is still to judged

I have been searching such post, thanks!
Old 07-10-2010

aashleyy12 is still to judged

I don't plan on watching too many videos on it. I currently have an Archos 605 30Gb and I've never watched movies on it, so I don't see that changing. With that in mind you mentioned getting something less hefty, that's a problem I'm running into: anything with the space I need (I've got 34Gb of music right now) is going to be harddrive based and is going to be looked at as a media player. I would love an A3 without the screen. That'd be wonderful! But once you get above 30Gb everyone thinks you want to watch movies on the biggest screen you can find.

Last edited by aashleyy12 : 07-10-2010 at 22:34.
Old 07-23-2010

williams8899 is still to judged

It stores files as individual mp3s, or in my case, .ogg and .avi (divx). This file system is supported by Windows and OpenBSD, as well as other OSes.

-------------------------------------------------
Electronic Cigarette
E Cigarette