m3u playlist generation
this is a repost from elsewhere in the forum. is there a better way?:
a little further explanation...which may help someone, or may not.
i base this on the way i'm doing things...which is thus: i have a directory on my pc with all my music, it is called C:\music. I copy this entire folder over to my unit (m3) and drop it in the root directory. i rename it MUSIC instead of music, because it matches with the other folders, and i'm slightly unhinged (obsessive compulsive).
i don't index my portable player files with winamp, i only have the media library search C:\music (this is found in winamp preferences, and you can also specify the rescan behaviour, i do it manually becuase i only add music when i buy and rip a cd).
i make a playlist with winamp. for example:
1. open winamp
2. open media library component (alt+l)
3. on left navigation pane, select 'local media' -> 'audio'
4. in the search field, type "love"
5. select all the tracks that appear in the bottom "results" pane by selecting one and then pressing ctrl+a, or just pick and choose, or refine your search, or organize them by year, or track length, or manually as you see fit -- this is the point where you do what you want
6. right click on the selected tracks and say 'send to' -> 'new playlist'
7. name it ("love" for my example)
8. now, in media library, in the navigation pane on the left, go to 'playlists' -> 'love' (or whatever you named the playlist in question)
9. at the bottom, click on 'manage playlist' -> 'export playlist...'
10. save playlist as love.m3u in the playlist directory of your device
11. now open the m3u file with a text editor...you will get something like this:
#EXTM3U #EXTINF:243,Blackalicious - purest love C:\music\Blackalicious\2002 - Blazing arrow\15 - Blackalicious - purest love.mp3 #EXTINF:150,Bruce Cockburn - Love Song C:\music\Bruce Cockburn\1971 - High Winds White Sky\03 - Bruce Cockburn - Love Song.ogg #EXTINF:282,Bruce Cockburn - A Long-Time-Love Song C:\music\Bruce Cockburn\1975 - Joy Will Find a Way\08 - Bruce Cockburn - A Long-Time-Love Song.ogg
the ..\ moves up one level and gets us out of the iaudio device "playlist" folder, then music\ puts us in the right folder on the device. this will be different depending on how you organize your music, so "replace all" according to your particular situation. the point is that you need to get rid of the local file reference and have it reference from the location of the playlist file on the device, which is PLAYLIST\
#EXTM3U #EXTINF:243,Blackalicious - purest love ..\MUSIC\Blackalicious\2002 - Blazing arrow\15 - Blackalicious - purest love.mp3 #EXTINF:150,Bruce Cockburn - Love Song ..\MUSIC\Bruce Cockburn\1971 - High Winds White Sky\03 - Bruce Cockburn - Love Song.ogg
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything."
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|About playlist||NoraBora||[JA] Technical Support||0||02-18-2006 08:57|
|.m3u playlists in jetcast||DEMONCLEANER||[JC] Technical Support||2||04-19-2005 23:11|
|Playlist jumps to next album||dEffect||[JA] Technical Support||0||03-10-2005 15:19|
|Playlist in U2 needs a little more work:||splitpoint||General Discussion / User Reviews||0||01-29-2005 00:58|
|Lost playlist at top of screen||Conner||[JA] Technical Support||1||08-01-2004 21:59|